By Cordell and Janice Vail
07 Mar 2004
A weekly email gospel message for the descendents of Ammon and Winona Vail
Protecting You And Your Daughters
Protecting You And Your Daughters
I thought that this would be worth sharing with the whole family and something worth talking to your older daughters about. It is called "Seeing the world though a "Rapist's" eyes". They handed it out at our church.
A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed and asked what they looked for in a potential victim. Here are some interesting facts.
1. The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair over one with short hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.
2. The second thing men look for is clothing. They look for women who's clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around to cut clothing. And of course, women wearing tight, seductive cloting gets their attention and focuses their intentions even more.
3. They also look for women on cell phones, searching through their purses or doing other activities while walking in parking lots, because they are off guard and not paying attention. Therefore they are easily overpowered.
4. The time of day men are most likely to attack and rape a woman is in the early morning.
5. The number one place women are abducted from or attached in is at the grocery store parking lots.
6. Number two is office parking lots and garages.
7. Number three is public restrooms.
8. The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to a second location where they don't have to worry about getting caught.
9. Only 2% of rapists said they carried weapons because rape carries a 3-5 year sentence, but rape with a weapon is 15-20 years.
10. If you put up any kind of fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it, because it will be too time-consuming.
11. These men said that they would not pick on women who have umbrellas, or other similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands. Keys are not a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So the idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it.
12. Several defense mechanisms are: if someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like what time is it, or make general small talk, "I can't believe how cold it is out here.' Now that you've seen his face and could identify him in a line-up, you will lose your appeal as a target.
13. If someone is coming towards you, hold out your hands in front of you and hell, "Stop!" or "Stay Back!" Most of the men in prison for rape said that they would leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back. Again, they are looking for an easy target.
14. If you carry pepper spray, yelling I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY! and holding it out will be a deterrent.
15. If someone grabs you, you cant' beat them with strength, but you can by outsmarting them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm between the elbow and the armpit, or in the upper inner thigh - HARD. One woman said that she used the under-arm punch on a guy who was trying to date rape her, and was so upset that she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands. The attempted rapist needed stitches. Try pinching your self in those places as hard as you can stand it - it hurts. Hitting on the ear also hurts or stamping on the attackers foot as hard as you can.
16. After the initial hit, always go for the groin. If you tit a guy's private parts, it is extremely painful, and they won't be able to chase you for several seconds at least. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, that the thing that rapists said was that, they wanted a woman who will not cause any trouble. Start causing trouble and scream as loud as long as you can and he's out of there or blow the whistle on your key chain.
17. When the guy puts his hands up to grab you, you grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as you can. Under pressure, the attacker will end up on his knees. You can also poke him in the eye with you thumb. That will take him right down to the ground.
18. Of course, the things we always hear are most important.
Always be aware of your surroundings
Take someone with you if you can
And if you see any odd behavior, don't dismiss it, follow the spirit
You may feel a little silly at the time if you start yelling or causing a commotion with the whistle on your key chain, but you would feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
NOTE: Nothing in any of these Sunday Sermons is intended to represent the official doctrines of the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are strictly instructions and teachings from Cordell and Janice Vail to their family.
Back to Epistles